XLeptodactylous

Alfred Lord Tennyson
The Norton Anthology of Poetry
Mary Jo Salter, Margaret Ferguson, Jon Stallworthy

Flesh and Blood

Flesh and Blood - Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta, chief medical examiner, has her holiday interrupted when a man is shot dead minutes from her own home. After careful examination, it seems that the person is connected to her: although it's a loose connection it's one that keeps rearing its head, especially when another body is found and connections are made to two other murders.

I do like Cornwell as a writer, but I'm starting to dislike Kay Scarpetta as a character. If Cornwell had made up a new forensic pathologist and FBI agent for every book she had written I can't imagine it would have made a difference to me with reading them: she writes very well and always holds my attention. She is highly intelligent and, from her previous jobs, knows what she's talking about. The storyline is apt and usually involves real-life events, which are always interesting to learn about. Very rarely does she veer off-course for some tangent that is irrelevant. Patricia Cornwell is a superb writer.

Scarpetta's constantly being interrupted. It's like she's the only person in the world who can work out how somebody died. Everyone else is incompetent. Nobody is telling her anything. Even her beautiful husband (for whom I have the most absurd soft-spot for ever) always keeps things from her. Another day, another psycho who has it in for her. It's getting boring, though I enjoyed that Marino told her that when they first met he thought she was cold and impersonal (slightly paraphrasing as I don't recall the precise words). I kind of feel like that's how the books are becoming.

Having said that I do love Benton Wesley far too much and Cornwell's writing is sublime. She can keep the suspense like no other and, although it is often mindless drivel spurting out of the brain of Kay Scarpetta, it is still bloody good and much better than some other people. It's more of a 2.5 out of 5 but that's more than I'd give to anyone else.