XLeptodactylous

Alfred Lord Tennyson
The Norton Anthology of Poetry
Mary Jo Salter, Margaret Ferguson, Jon Stallworthy

The Copper Promise

The Copper Promise - Jen Williams Wydrin and Sebastian are swords for hire and Lord Frith comes to them with a proposition: enter the forbidden Citadel and find a treasure that cannot be found anywhere else. But the Citadel is said to be more than haunted, as this was where the mages trapped the old gods during the last war, and though the heros have not much idea what they will be faced with, they do know that they'll get paid whatever happens...

The Copper Promise started out life as four novellas and this is evident during the novel as it is separated in to four parts. Whilst this made sense, it would have been nice to have seen the author engage with the full-length format and join them up seamlessly, instead of the disjointed obvious four-part book it was. The writing was competent, though occasionally there would be weird, disjointed sentences that really threw me off track, particularly at the beginning of paragraphs: sentences such as (I am paraphrasing) "all of sudden several things happened at once" and "then a strange thing happened". There were just a few sentence structures, errors and grammatical errors that lowered the tone of the book for me, but overall it flowed well enough.

The world-building was very lack-lustre. I do not mean it was a small world: it was a very large world (a map would have been nice, but I read it on the kindle so perhaps it was only missing from that) but the description always seemed to fall flat. Characterisation was fine; at times it seemed very run-of-the-mill and stereotypical and then at times it felt in-depth and rounded. I also found myself rushing through it, both to find out what happens next and also to get through it and finish.

I think I would define the book as slightly schizophrenic. It was equal parts good and bad, with both attributes cancelling each other out to give a great story that was, at times, poorly told.